Tallinn Literature Center Eduard Vilde Museum situates in a former Castellan House.
The house built for the Kadriorg castellan (the official responsible
for the day-to-day management of the palace and park grounds) was
given its current appearance in 1835–1836 (architect A. Shashin).
The complex consisted of the Castellan House and two symmetrically
placed side buildings. The one on the left was intended for
the gardeners working in the park and the one on the right for the
palace crafts- and handymen. The cobbled inner courtyard featured a
wooden stable, a coach house, a haybarn, a larder and other outhouses.
In appearance, they were Neo-Baroque buildings meant to imitate
the style of the palace itself. The similarity with the palace was
further emphasised by the flower beds at the lawn in front of the
house and a round-bottomed fountain. The sides of the Castellan
House were later fitted with a glazed veranda and a stairwell.
During the first independence era, the house was managed by the
Ministry of the Interior and provided accommodation for civil
servants. In 1925, the government decided to give the author and
diplomat Eduard Vilde (1865–1933) a house with a garden. After
a long search they settled instead on a six-bedroom apartment in
Kadriorg, on the ground floor of the former Castellan House. The
state had it renovated and fitted with furniture from the famous
A. M. Luther factory. Vilde moved into the house in late 1927
and lived there until his death in 1933.
The Eduard Vilde Museum was inaugurated in 1946. The house
retains several of its original interior doors, glazed tile fireplaces,
a wooden staircase with balustrades, etc. The fully preserved 1920s
interior offers a vivid insight into the personal space and the era of
one of the most renowned and influential 20th century Estonian
writers. The exterior was renovated in 2015.
The lateral buildings, once damaged in a fire, were restored in
2009 and currently belong to the Office of the President of the