After the demolition of the original ice cellar, a simple new slate
cellar was built next to the palace kitchen, partially into the hill, in 1782. The windowless building was divided into two: a dry cellar and an ice cellar (a chamber for storing perishables that was cooled with sea ice harvested in the winter). The ingredients and wines for the palace kitchens were kept in the cellar. The new studio and residence of painter Johannes Greenberg (1887–1951), designed by Anton Soans, was built on the stone foundations of the ice cellar in 1926.
During the Soviet period, the building was used as a residence and a warehouse. In 2005, the disused and dilapidated building was renovated by the Office of the President for official purposes.